Waypoint Adventure trip-leaders specialize in leading accessible adventure-education programs for youth and adults of all abilities. As a volunteer on a hiking program, you may be asked to do the following:
(Please note this is NOT the hiking volunteer eligibility criteria. We are happy to tailor tasks to your skills and abilities as long as you meet our hiking eligibility criteria!):
- Push an off-road wheelchair
- Review a lesson plan for the program as well as overview on participants and supports they may require
- Set up or prepare materials (gear, extra layers, backpacks, water bottles, snacks etc) as needed
- Guide participants as needed through proper hiking preparation
- Assist in post-program clean up and debrief
Location: Blue Hills - (860 Hillside St, Milton MA 02186) Houghton's Pond Parking Lot. Look for the green and blue signs for directions and call the instructors if you need assistance.
Instructor: Carly Steinauer (857) 302-2659 and Theresa (334) 437-4911
Conditions: We will hike through the woods. Some of the paths are paved and others are dirt paths with some rocks and roots. The Blue Hills has up and down hills. Route may vary depending on mobility needs, but you can expect an easy-moderate hike of 1-3 miles.
Bathrooms: There are accessible bathrooms at this location.
What to bring:
- Small back pack or bag to carry your things
- Lunch or snacks
- Water bottle
- Warm layers
- Hat and mittens or gloves
- Lace-up sneakers or hiking boots
- *Waypoint Adventure can provide hats, gloves, warm socks, boots, and extra layers for you to borrow. If you think you may need to borrow something, please let us know in advance!